September 20, 2019 | 1:52 PM IST
peace talk

Taliban calls Trump's withdrawal of talks ‘unbelievable and damaging his credibility’

The Taliban on Sunday said that US President Donald Trump’s decision to call off peace talks was ‘unbelievable, disappointing and damaged his credibility’. It also threatened the US of ‘being harmed more than anyone’ if the talks were halted.
In an Arabic tweet, the official spokesperson Suhail Shaheen from Taliban’s political office in Doha wrote, “Everyone was satisfied with the agreement with the US that took place a few days ago. The text of the same was sent to Qatar as well. It was agreed that Qatar would announce the deal. But the disappointing tweets by President Trump are unbelievable and damaged his credibility.”
In another tweet, the Taliban group wrote, “We still... believe that the American side will come back to this position...Our fight for the past 18 years should have proven to the Americans that we will not be satisfied until we witness the complete end of the occupation.

It may be noted that Trump on Saturday abruptly announced that he was calling off the peace negotiations with Taliban and cancelled the ‘secret meeting’ with the group's representatives at Camp David in the wake of the Kabul terror attack, in which 12 people including an American soldier lost their lives. The US had been negotiating with the terrorist group for nearly a year at Doha despite the group’s reluctance to hold direct talks with the Afghan government.

On the other hand, secretary of state Mike Pompeo on Sunday said that Trump administration is still working towards the deal, but will not proceed until the Taliban delivers on its commitments.

Editor In Chief

Editor In Chief is an publisher and journalist. He is regular columnist of the website NewsInInd. He is experienced in national and political issues with more than 500 blogs.