Kohli bags ICC Spirit of Cricket title; Ben Stokes gets Sir Garfield Trophy
India skipper Virat Kohli has once again made India proud by bagging prestigious titles at the 2019 International Cricket Council (ICC) award announced on Wednesday. The Awards were determined by the 2019 voting academy comprising the following members of the media and broadcasters from different countries like India, England, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe, West Indies, Bangladesh, Afghanistan Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc.
Kohli has been picked for the Spirit of Cricket honor ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019 award for his gesture at the World Cup when he prodded the crowd to cheer Steve Smith on his return to international cricket after a year-long suspension for changing the condition of the ball. Kohli has also been named captain of both the ICC Test and ODI teams of the year.
However, it is England all-rounder Ben Stokes who has been named for the biggest honor as ICC Player of the Year and prestigious Sir Garfield Trophy.
Here’s the list of prominent award winners:
• Rohit Sharma - ODI player of the year
• Indian bowler Deepak Chahar - T20I Performance of the Year
• Australia’s fast bowler Pat Cummins - Test Cricketer of the Year
• Australia’s Marnus Labuschagne – ICC Men’s Emerging Cricketer of the Year
• Scotland’s Kyle Coetzer - Associate Cricketer of the Year
• England’s Richard Illingworth - Umpire of the Year (David Shepherd Trophy)
The ICC chief executive Manu Sawhney has congratulated the winners of the awards saying, “On behalf of the ICC, I would like to congratulate all of the individual 2019 award winners as well as those players named in the ICC Teams of the Year.”