India celebrates 72nd Army Day in memory of Field Marshal KM Cariappa
Like every year, this year too, January 15, is dedicated to saluting our valiant soldiers and in recognition of Field Marshal KM Cariappa’s taking over as the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army. Field Marshal Cariappa took over from Sir Francis Butcher, the lat British Commander in 1949. On this day, parades and other military shows will be held at the Army Parade Ground, Delhi Cantt which is one of the largest and most prominent parade ground of the country. Similar celebrations will also be held at all six Army Command Headquarters in the country.
January 2020 marks the 72nd Army Day and what makes it special is the fact that Captain Tania Shergill, commissioned in March 2017 from Officers Training Academy, Chennai, will be the Parade Adjutant on this Army Day. Secondly, India’s first Chief of Defense Staff Bipin Rawat will also participate in the parade along with the heads of the three armies.
The theme for this for the celebration is DefExpo India 2020 will be India: The Emerging Defense Manufacturing Hub and the main focus will be on the 'Digital Transformation of Defense.
Below given are a few lesser-known facts about the Indian Army
• It was formed in 1776 by the East India Company in Kolkata
• It was officially established on 1 April 1895
• It got its first Army chief on January 15, 1949
• Its motto is Service Before Self
• Its first chief was Field Marshal KM Cariappa
• It is among the world’s three largest armies including China and the United States
• Its soldiers are deployed on the highest battlefield in the world - Siachen Glacier (which is five thousand meters above sea level)
• The Army Parade Ground was renamed as Cariappa Parade ground in Dec 2016